Your Daily Oral Hygiene Habits Dictate Your Dental Well-Being
Your daily dental care habits may seem inconsequential, but they directly affect your dental health. If you’re rushing through your brushing or flossing routine, eating sugary or starchy snacks, or using your teeth to open plastic bottle caps, you increase your risk of developing serious problems over time. Bad dental hygiene and unhealthy habits can lead to bad breath, swollen or bleeding gums, periodontitis, and even tooth loss. These outcomes can also affect you in ways you may not expect, including the following:
- Tooth loss or extensive decay may result in difficulty chewing or speaking.
- Bad breath and tooth discoloration can destroy your self-confidence.
- Putting off needed dental care treatments often results in more expensive and invasive treatments later.
- Dental problems can affect your general health. Cardiovascular disease, pneumonia, and diabetes are all linked to poor oral health.
Change Bad Dental Care Habits to Good Ones
Dental professionals recommend the following tips to improve dental hygiene for kids and adults.
- Floss every day. Using dental floss removes plaque and residual food from hard-to-reach places between teeth.
- Brush at least twice daily and after meals when possible. When you can’t brush after eating, chew sugar-free gum for about 20 minutes.
- Use your toothbrush or a tongue scraper to clean your tongue after you brush. This removes the bacteria responsible for bad breath.
- When your toothbrush’s bristles become bent, broken, or jagged, replace it; a worn brush can’t do its job.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet and avoid excess sweets.
- Find an affordable dentist, and schedule check-ups at least twice a year to address minor dental problems before they get worse.
- Never use your teeth as tools to open bottles, bags, or other items. Bottle openers and scissors are much cheaper than root canals and implants.
Practice Good Dental Care for Life
Being aware of your dental care habits and making changes as needed helps you keep your healthy smile for decades. The sooner you start taking care of your teeth and gums, the longer you can enjoy the benefits of great oral health.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates of Cross Keys today at (443) 863-6394 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Cross Keys, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Cross Keys.