Face the Facts about Aging Teeth
Aging appears all over our face, but did you know that it shows in your smile? See how the years can cause trouble for teeth and how you can save your smile.
Time Takes a Toll on Teeth
Many people are surprised to learn that their teeth start to age early on. According to dental care experts, teeth tend to shift and you begin to lose bone over time, which can cause your gums to recede and change the appearance of your smile. In addition, years of wear and tear can actually wear away your tooth enamel or cause your aging teeth to move from their prior and proper positions.
Stress Affects your Smile
Both the daily and major stresses of life can wreak havoc on teeth. Much of the stress you experience will go straight to your jaw and can make you clench, gnash, and grind your teeth. Chronic tooth grinding is a condition called bruxism, which can actually flatten, fracture, and break your teeth. It can also wear away tooth enamel, increase tooth sensitivity, and cause headaches and facial pain. If you start to notice the effects of bruxism, you should seek out immediate treatment from an affordable dentist to prevent additional dental damage.
Protect your Teeth from the Effects of Age
It’s never too late to start taking care of your teeth. Dental care experts provided these tips to improve the appearance of aging teeth:
- Maintain good oral hygiene at home by brushing for two minutes after each meal, as well as flossing and using a mouth rinse twice a day.
- Consider using an electric toothbrush to ensure that you’re brushing both gently and thoroughly.
- Have your fillings, crowns, and veneers examined periodically since they only last around seven years and may need to be replaced.
- To whiten and brighten your smile safely, ask your dentist to recommend the right tooth whitening procedures or products for you.
- If you wear braces, be sure to wear a retainer when they’re removed to keep teeth in their new, proper position.
- If you tend to grind or clench your teeth while you sleep, get a night guard to protect your delicate tooth enamel.
- Consider getting more frequent professional dental cleanings from an affordable dentist in The Village of Cross Keys since plaque can develop at a greater rate as you age.
- Discuss any dental care concerns with your dentist as soon as possible to ease your suffering and avoid any unforeseen dental damage.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in The Village of Cross Keys, call Dental One Associates of Cross Keys today at (443) 863-6394 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in The Village of Cross Keys. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Cross Keys, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Cross Keys.