Dental Emergency – What to Do While You Wait to See the Dentist
Dental emergencies never happen when you’re in a dental clinic parking lot, so knowing how to handle them correctly before you can get to your dentist is essential. Taking the right steps can save a tooth and prevent serious complications. If you’re not sure your problem is a true dental emergency, call your dentist in Baltimore. Keep all of your emergency dentist and after-hours contact information where you can locate it easily.
Following the tips can help increase your chances of saving your tooth and preventing complications when a dental crisis occurs:
- Mouth pain and swelling may indicate an abscess, which could pose a serious health threat. Rinse your mouth with salt water to relieve pain, and see your dentist in Baltimore as soon as possible.
- A mouth laceration or bite to the tongue, inner cheeks, or lips should be cleaned with warm water. If bleeding is severe or won’t stop, go to your local emergency room immediately.
- Jaw injuries can be very serious. Apply a cold compress to your jaw and immediately head to your local emergency room.
- A knocked-out tooth needs emergency dental treatment within the first hour to save it. Before transporting the tooth, hold it by the crown, and rinse it with water. Store it in your mouth or, if this is not possible, place the tooth in milk.
- For a loose tooth, see an emergency dentist immediately. Apply a cold compress to your face and take over-the-counter pain relievers if necessary.
- For a cracked tooth, rinse your mouth with warm water, apply a cold compress or ice, and call your dentist right away.
- Sudden tooth pain could be caused by a foreign object that’s gotten lodged between your teeth. Attempt to remove it with dental floss, but if that doesn’t work, see an emergency dentist.
- If a filling or crown falls out, place it in a safe location and call your dentist immediately. If your tooth is sensitive or painful, ask your dentist if you should use clove oil or dental cement to help relieve pain.
- For damaged braces, call your orthodontist and explain what happened. In some cases, emergency dental treatment is needed, but minor problems can often be handled at the next appointment.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates of Cross Keys today at (443) 863-6394 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Cross Keys, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Cross Keys.