Causes and Treatments for Sensitive Teeth
Sensitive teeth and gums can prevent you from enjoying your favorite hot, cold, sour and sweet foods and beverages. The discomfort can make your routine dental care tasks like brushing and flossing your teeth difficult. Even a cold day can cause symptoms like flashes of pain or electric sensations to flare. Sensitivity has several causes, and some are more serious than others. Fortunately, the problem is treatable. Your dentist in The Village of Cross Keys knows how to help sensitive teeth and gums, but there are a few things you can try at home first.
7 Causes of Sensitive Teeth and Gums
1. Gum disease and associated tooth decay can cause a breakdown of enamel. Periodontitis also leads to infection with receding gums. Both may exacerbate the symptoms of sensitive teeth and gums.
2. Teeth grinding during sleep can erode enamel and expose underlying dentin over time.
3. Damaged teeth may also cause symptoms. A cracked or chipped tooth can expose dentin or become infected and cause nerve inflammation.
4. Over-brushing teeth or using hard-bristled toothbrushes can wear down tooth enamel and irritate gums. Sensitive roots may become exposed.
5. Age can be a factor in tooth sensitivity; most cases occur in people who are between 25 and 30 years old.
6. Using tooth-whitening products can irritate exposed tooth roots and dentin.
7. Some people experience temporary sensitivity after dental procedures.
How to Help Sensitive Teeth Symptoms
- Brush and floss every day to keep teeth and gums healthy.
- Switch to a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush gently.
- Brush with an over-the-counter desensitizing toothpaste.
- Try a fluoride mouthwash.
- Avoid acidic beverages and foods such as wine, tea, citrus fruit, and tomatoes.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in The Village of Cross Keys, call Dental One Associates of Cross Keys today at (443) 863-6394 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in The Village of Cross Keys. With 11 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Cross Keys, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Cross Keys.