7 Ways to Help Your Teen Keep a Healthy Smile
Being a teenager isn’t easy. With so much going on, it’s common for teens to forget about proper dental care. An affordable dentist in Baltimore can help by detecting and treating potential problems early, but good dental care habits start at home. It may be a little difficult to communicate with your teens, but you can help them spend more time smiling and less time at the family dentistry office if you encourage good daily dental care practices. Here are seven ways teens can stay on the path to a lifetime of great dental health.
1. Encourage your teen to brush and floss daily. Also set a good example by doing so yourself. Providing interesting dental care products can encourage compliance.
2. Watch out for gum disease. Hormonal changes can increase the risk of gingivitis and periodontitis. If your teen’s gums are bleeding, consult your family dentistry expert for treatment options.
3. Check for canker sores and other mouth irritations. If your teen wears braces, be on the lookout for mouth sores. Avoiding acidic foods and practicing good dental care can help reduce painful symptoms. If sores persist, consult your family dentistry professional.
4. Keep a close eye on mouth piercings. Oral piercings can become infected. Take your teen to your family dentistry practitioner regularly to make sure tongue or lip piercings are not causing dental problems like chipped teeth.
5. Be on the lookout for any potential eating disorders. Anorexia or bulimia can cause serious damage to both the body and teeth. If you suspect an eating disorder, get your teen medical and psychological help immediately, and also consult an affordable dentist to determine if any tooth damage has occurred.
6. Avoid soda. Keep soda and sugary drinks out of the kitchen, and make plain water readily available. To encourage water consumption at school, provide a refillable water bottle with a design they’ll love.
7. Provide mouth guards for protection during sports. If your teens play sports, ask an affordable dentist about mouth guards to protect their teeth.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates of Cross Keys today at (443) 863-6394 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 11 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Cross Keys, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Cross Keys.