Gingivitis and Periodontitis – Do You Have Hidden Risk Factors
The unfortunate cause of tooth loss can often be traced to the gums. Gum disease, also called gingivitis in its early stages and periodontitis when advanced, usually starts an accumulation of dental plaque on the surfaces of teeth. It is often a result of neglectful dental hygiene habits and a lack of professional dental care. While gum infection and inflammation caused by plaque buildup is an undeniable cause, poor oral hygiene is not the only risk factor. The following are also significant risk factors for gum disease.
Additional Risk Factors for Gum Disease
- Emotional and mental stress make it harder for the human body to fight infection. Therefore, it can contribute to gum disease.
- Smoking and tobacco use are also significant risk factors for gum disease.
- Drugs such as contraceptives, antidepressants, and heart medications can negatively affect gum health, and increase the risk of periodontal disease.
- Genetics may be a risk factor for certain people. Genetic testing and early professional intervention can help those with genetic risk factors for gum disease keep their teeth.
- Systemic diseases that cause inflammatory reactions may worsen gum health. These illnesses include cardiovascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and diabetes.
- Clenching and grinding teeth strain the supporting tissues that hold teeth in place and can speed up the progression of gum disease and destruction.
- Nutritional deficiencies caused by a poor diet affect the body’s immune system and make it difficult to fight infections, including oral infections.
- Obesity may also increase the risk of gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Studies reveal that more than 70 percent of people aged 65 and older have periodontal disease.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates of Cross Keys today at (443) 863-6394 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Cross Keys, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Cross Keys.